The Ashinaga Africa Initiative (AAI) is an international leadership program that cultivates the next generation of leaders to contribute to the development of sub-Saharan Africa. The AAI provides access to full financial support to study at university abroad (equivalent to an undergraduate degree), including tuition, room, travel costs and other necessary fees.
- Deadline for English-speaking and French-speaking applications: 20th January, 2023 at 00h.Midnight GMT
- The deadline for applicants from Lusophone countries (Angola, Cabo Verde, Guinea Bissau, São Tomé and Príncipe and Mozambique) is Midnight GMT Friday 14th October 2022
To be taken at (country): Higher institutions outside of Africa, in countries such as Japan, US, UK etc
Eligible Countries: Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cabo Verde, CAR,Cameroon, Chad, Comoros, Côte d’Ivoire, Djibouti, DRC, Ethiopia, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Gabon, Ghana, Guinea Bissau, Guinea Conakry, Kenya, Kingdom of eSwatini, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Republic of Congo, Rwanda, São Tomé and Príncipe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Seychelles, Sudan, Tanzania, The Gambia, Togo, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Eligibility: Applicants must:
- Have lost one or both parents.
- Have completed secondary school and received the results of their national secondary school examination (technical and vocational degrees not accepted) within the last two years (any date after 2nd August 2020, including all of 2021 and 2022) or will have completed secondary school and received final exam results before February 28th, 2023.
- Be born after 1st September 2000.
- Not have the means to attend university abroad without external financial support.
- Be proficient in English, French or Portuguese.
- Be regularly ranked in the top 10% of their class during their last 2 or 3 years of secondary school.
- Be able to participate in the two Ashinaga preparatory programs, over the course of one year, before attending university.
- Be committed to return home, or to Sub-Saharan Africa, and contribute to society in Sub-Saharan Africa after graduating from university.
- Have no dependents who could interfere with academic progress.
- Have a good enough health condition to be able to study abroad.
Number of Scholarships: Not specified
Value of Scholarship: The Ashinaga (100-Year Vision) Scholarship provides a full scholarship that covers the cost of tuition, accommodation (during the terms and vacation), insurance, flight, and provides monthly stipend which covers food and necessary academic costs.
Application Process: There are three ways to apply for the Ashinaga Africa Initiative, although we prefer online applications. There is no application fee, and you must never pay anyone to apply or to apply on your behalf. Please note that if you apply by post, all submitted documents will not be returned to you. Therefore, you must send copies of documents ONLY.
Documents Required for Application;
Scan the required documents below in either PDF or JPG format
- Photo or scan of at least one of the following documents;Passport, National ID Card or Birth Certificate
- Photo or scan of your most recent High School Term Report/Transcript
- Photo or scan of your final High School Examination Results Certificate (if applicable)**
** For students receiving their examination results in February 2022,we will ask you to send your examination certificate as soon as possible after you have received it.
- Passport style photograph
- Passport or National ID Card
- Birth certificate of applicant.
- Death certificate of deceased parent(s), including the deceased parent’s name, or alternative official documentation proving death of parent(s) or orphan status.
- All term reports / secondary school transcripts from the last 2 years.
- Final secondary school examination certificate, showing grades in each subject*
- A letter of recommendation from a principal or schoolteacher. This should be inclusive of their email address, phone number and must contain information about your performance and character whilst at secondary school. All recommendation letters should contain an official signature or stamp.
- Academic transcripts or other results from university(if applicable).
- Certificates for extracurricular activities, training courses,jobsor other commitments (if applicable).
Visit The Official Website For More Information